Tuesday, April 6, 2010

33:38 Coriolanus

Day 33 of 38:38
Coriolanus

So I understand why theatres sometimes do Julius Caesar and Antony and Cleopatra in rep. I mean, obviously, it is more or less a continuation of the same story. But I think it would work really well to do Julius Caesar and Coriolanus in rep. They seem to link really well thematically. Politics. Easily swayed mobs. People voting against their self-interests. Sounds like today, doesn't it? Even more so when you consider that the Tribunes gets the people to turn against Coriolanus by claiming that he will turn into a tyrant, that is take over the government and their freedom.

Brutus In this point charge him home, that he affects
Tyrannical power

Sicinius We charge you, that you have contrived to take
From Rome all seasoned office, and to wind
Yourself into a power tyrannical

Some things never change, I guess.

For me, in performance, it's much easier for Coriolanus to come off as a jerk. But on the page, I felt totally with him. The people are ridiculous, and he basically gets screwed. Then he does the nice thing and doesn't kill them all, and what happens? Another man throws and hissy fit and kills Coriolanus in a jealous rage. Seriously, Aufidius so clearly has a thing for Coriolanus. I really think this play has the most obvious homo-eroticism in all of Shakespeare's works.

Another thing about Coriolanus -- I think it would be easy to play him simply as a brute, a man of action, but he seems quite shrewd in moments. He sees right through those two nasty tribunes. When Brutus points out that the people have turned against Coriolanus because of the incident with the corn, he responds:
Coriolanus Why, this was known before.
Brutus Not to them all.
Coriolanus Have you informed them sithence?

Finally, I love this line of Volumnia's which reveals how important text work is. It is only by scanning properly that you will know the right way of delivering the line

thou barrest us
Our prayers to the gods, which is a comfort
That all but we enjoy; for HOW can we,
Alas! how CAN we for our country pray,
Whereto we are bound, together with thy victory,
Whereto we are bound?

-----------------------------
Favorite Female Character:
Volumnia
Favorite Male Character:
Sicinius and Brutus sure are bastards, aren't they?

Laugh out loud:

"That's what she said!":

How insulting:
Coriolanus for I do hate thee
Worse than a promise-breaker

Shakey loves his meta:
Coriolanus Like a dull actor now,
I have forgot my part

Oh, misogyny:
Cominius in that day's feats
When he might act the woman in the scene,
He proved best man in the field

Boys are silly:
Cominius And manhood is called foolery when it stands
Against a falling fabric.

Favorite Moment/Line:
Aufidius Know thou first,
I loved the maid I married; never man
Sighed truer breath; but that I see thee here,
Thou noble thing! more dances my rapt heart
Than when I first my wedded mistress aw
Bestride my threshold.

No comments:

Post a Comment