Monday, April 5, 2010

32:38 Pericles

Day 32 of 38:38
Pericles

What an interesting play. I feel like next to Pericles, Cymbeline isn't going to feel random at all. This was another one on the short list that I had not read before. I also haven't seen this one yet. In these later plays, Shakespeare seems increasingly episodic. Thinking about Pericles and Cymbeline and Antony and Cleopatra, there feel like there are more shorter scenes, and scenes that jump around in place and time. He also seems to be seeing just how much he can get away with in terms of plot. Pericles and Winter's Tale seem to be a sort of opposite of Troilus and Cressida. In that play, we are specifically told that we will only see one small section of a vast story. In Pericles and Winter's Tale, Shakespeare is trying to cram the epic story entirely in to one play.

For those of you that have seen Pericles performed, how does it play? Is the ending overwhelmingly joyous after the unrelenting line of tragic events? Or do you find yourself unable to trust the ending, unable to trust the idea that everything will be okay in the end, that, if you will, alls well that ends well?

Also the fact that Antiochus's daughter spends her entire life being raped by her father and doesn't get rescued by Pericles, or anyone else, infuriated me. She has no name in the text, further depriving her of agency. The fact that she is identified only as Antiochus's Daughter, defines her solely by her relationship to her father, her incestuous relationship.

I also wanted to point out how Isabella could have used some of Marina's persuasive power.

-----------------------------
Favorite Female Character:
Dionyza (we get to have a bit of villainy)
Favorite Male Character:
Simonides (I think the scene where he pretends to bully his daughter is fun)

Laugh out loud:
Pericles Why, are all your beggars whipped, then?
Second Fisherman O, not all, my friend, not all; for if all your beggars were whipped, I would wish no better office than to be beadle.

"That's what she said!":
Simonides It pleaseth me so well, that I will see you wed;
And then with what haste you can get you to bed.

How insulting:

Shakey loves his meta:
Gower In your imagination hold
This stage the ship, upon whose deck
The sea-tost Pericles appears to speak.

Oh, misogyny:
Gower With whom the father liking took,
And her to incest did provoke.
Bad child, worse father!

Boys are silly: (Stick it to the patriarchy)
Simonides They are well dispatch'd; now to my daughter's letter:
She tells me here, she'd wed the stranger knight,
Or never more to view nor day nor light.
'Tis well, mistress; your choice agrees with mine;
I like that well: nay, how absolute she's in't,
Not minding whether I dislike or no!

Favorite Moment/Line:
Pericles O Helicanus! Strike me, honored sir,
Give me a gash, put me to present pain,
Lest this great sea of joys rushing upon me
Oerbear the shores of my mortality,
And drown me with their sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment