Wednesday, March 31, 2010

27:38 Timon of Athens

Day 27 of 38:38
Timon of Athens

Here's another new one for me! And this one, unlike Troilus and Cressida and King John, I've never read any part of it before. I don't even know what this play is about, so here we go...

Wow. Who knew that Shakespeare wrote a play about economics and greed? You know how plays of Shakespeare's go in cycles? All of a sudden several productions of one play will happen in one year? Or how the lesser known works go through periods of time where they are popular? Well, I'm surprised that isn't happening right now with Timon. I found it very easy to read, perhaps because the issues of hypocrisy and greed are ones that have affected every culture in every time.

Luculius Thou knowest well enough, although thou comest to me, that this is no time to lend money, especially upon bare friendship, without security.

But why does Timon constantly have bad things to say about women, when it is his male friends that have brought about his downfall? When Posthumous rails against women, it's one thing. But Timon has no reason. It comes completely out of nowhere.

Maybe this play doesn't get pulled out because even though it could resonate strongly today, it is quite obviously a weaker work. I mean, the play's not very subtle. During act one I pretty much knew where it was going. It's also quite repetitive, in the things the characters say and the actions they take. Cutting could take care of that, but it's already a short play. Also, this play is quite depressing. I find it even more depressing than a lot of the tragedies. I mean, this play pretty much has nothing good to say about humanity.

I mentioned in my post on King Lear that a lot of plays we are reading right now have to do with madness. Little did I know that Timon would be a further example. But here is another aspect in which this play isn't quite as good -- Timon's descent from sanity is not as artfully demonstrated as Lear's or Macbeth's.

I also think we are going to notice a lot of resonating elements when we read Coriolanus next week.

-----------------------------
Favorite Female Character:
There are only about five lines in this entire play given to female characters. Thanks a lot, Shakey.
Favorite Male Character:
Apemantus

Laugh out loud:

"That's what she said!":
Timon An thou shouldst, thou'dst anger ladies.
Apemantus O, they eat lords; so they come by great bellies.

How insulting:
Timon Most smiling, smooth, detested parasites,
Courteous destroyers, affable wolves, meek bears,
You fools of fortune, trencher-friends, time's flies,
Cap-and-knee slaves, vapors, and minute-jacks!

Shakey loves his meta:
Timon Why, thy verse swells with stuff so fine and smooth
That thou art even natural in thine art.

Oh, misogyny:
Apemantus What things in the world canst thou nearest compare to thy flatters?
Timon Women nearest.
(That's not very nice, Timon, considering it is entirely the male gender that is false to you.)

Boys are silly:
Apemantus I wonder that men dare trust themselves with men

Favorite Moment/Line:
Timon I'll teach them to prevent wild Alcibiades' wrath...
I have a tree, which grows here in my close,
That mine own use invites me to cut down,
And shortly must I fell it: tell my friends,
Tell Athens, in the sequence of degree,
From high to low throughout, that whoso please
To stop afflication, let him take his haste,
Come hither, ere my tree hath felt the axe,
And hang himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment